Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.17 Average
power surge on cornering
My 2002 dw8 berlingo has a power surge on cornering. It doesn't happen straight away but a short way around the corner it feels like I've suddenly put my foot down. In fact it feels livelier than normal accelerating.
Anyone any ideas what would cause this strange behaviour?
Married to BandanaLady.co.uk
Could be the effect of G forces and high speed cornering....... The centrifugal force on your body is forcing the accelerator pedal connected to your right foot to acheive a previously unatainable position...... Oh well, just a thought....:whistle::whistle::wave::wave:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
(30-12-2012, 01:26 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  Could be the effect of G forces and high speed cornering....... The centrifugal force on your body is forcing the accelerator pedal connected to your right foot to acheive a previously unatainable position...... Oh well, just a thought....:whistle::whistle::wave::wave:

That's very good O esteemed Dr of physics.Rolleyes
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post
When this occurs, how full is the tank?
.... and does it happen on both right- and left-hand bends?
(30-12-2012, 11:04 PM)CandR Wrote:  .... and does it happen on both right- and left-hand bends?
I always keep my talk between half-full and full.
It seems to kick-in about half way round a bend and usually (maybe always?) on right hand bends. But most of my bends are right hand: usually islands - left handers are usually corners.
What are your thoughts?

(30-12-2012, 01:26 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  Could be the effect of G forces and high speed cornering....... The centrifugal force on your body is forcing the accelerator pedal connected to your right foot to acheive a previously unatainable position...... Oh well, just a thought....:whistle::whistle::wave::wave:
Andy-womble - I'm 74, so most of the complaints about my driving don't involve 'high-speed' anything! And my big problem isn't previously unattainable positions, but previously attainable positions which have become unattainable! (this is where I'd type LOL if I could remember what it meant.
Married to BandanaLady.co.uk
[+] 3 users say Thank You to billskipton for this post
(31-12-2012, 06:33 AM)billskipton Wrote:  Andy-womble - I'm 74, so most of the complaints about my driving don't involve 'high-speed' anything! And my big problem isn't previously unattainable positions, but previously attainable positions which have become unattainable! (this is where I'd type LOL if I could remember what it meant.

Just loving that reply, still chuckling to myself after reading it again. Seriosly though it does sound like fuel surge of some description, maybe an obstruction in the pick-up pipe in the tank or similar?? Good luck.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Yes, I wondered about a crack in the fuel feed line just under the top plate of the pump/pickup assembly. Sideways "sloshing" is allowing air in or fuel pressure to be lost (if it has a lift pump).
Do you leave a cloud of black smoke behind just on roundabouts and corners? On my ancient Passat with a well-worn diesel many years ago, blown-back engine oil collected in the air filter housing, and then sometimes on bends sloshed into the air intake, giving the engine extra nasty fuel! Damn thing would take off like a scalded cat for 50 yards or so leaving above-mentioned cloud. I hope for your sake it ain't that!
How about engine mountings slack and allowing the fuel pump cable to be pulled giving a foot on the pedal effect ?
Quick and easy check, cheap / free too !