Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
insurance on two cars
I cant get rid of my pug cos i love it too much. So when i finally find my blingo im going to have to insure two cars. My insurance co says that ill have to pay full price on second car (blingo) which seems ridiculous to me as i can only drive one car at a time. :brickwall:

So what i want to know whether all other insurance cos are like this, or are there any around that dont charge the full whack on second car. (There is only me who is going to drive my cars - ie one person household.)

Advice and your knowledge greatly appreciated.
This one little trick that the insurance companies have up there sleeve.
Shows how much regard they have for existing customers.
HOWEVER if you shop around you may find a company who is prepared to 'mirror'
your No Claims Discount on an additional policy. The brokers know about it but they
do tend to keep it hidden from general view. Obviously if you're paying less they get less commission.
Several gambits may be tried. Go back to your existing insurers and ask them if that's their final
word on the matter and suggest that you have a friend who's told you about 'mirrored NCD'.
The fact that you are aware of it might be enough. You can also suggest that if they are unable to
give a very much better quote you'll take all your business away to a company who will let you insure
two low risk vehicles at the same rate. I assume that your have say, nine years (max.) NCD.

A couple of brokers to try: MCE and BikeSure who do insure cars. Both can be found on the I/Net.

E-car also sell a multi vehicle policy. HTH
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
Nominating one as restricted mileage can also help - providing it is a likely usage mode.
There are insurance companies that do multi car policies. Admiral advertise it for example.

Peter
Out of the box thinking sometimes pays off-rather than a multicar policy go back the opposite way and try for two separate ones.
Ive had some astounding deals from the meerkats just lately and comparethecomparisonsites.com reckons they're not even the best.

Give your lot the ultimatum that OJ suggests and dont be afraid to upsticks and go elsewhere-they wont mind a bit.
Nowadays I subscribe wholeheartedly to the Martin Lewis mantra of Ditch and Switch.
Banks,Insurance,Utilities-everything.
Loyalty means nothing to them-get a good deal then look around for the next one - the savings usually far outweigh the hassle
And that avatar is fantastic - chasing a tesco beefburger is he?
(20-01-2013, 09:29 AM)evdama Wrote:  Out of the box thinking sometimes pays off-rather than a multicar policy go back the opposite way and try for two separate ones.
Ive had some astounding deals from the meerkats just lately and comparethecomparisonsites.com reckons they're not even the best.

Give your lot the ultimatum that OJ suggests and dont be afraid to upsticks and go elsewhere-they wont mind a bit.
Nowadays I subscribe wholeheartedly to the Martin Lewis mantra of Ditch and Switch.
Banks,Insurance,Utilities-everything.
Loyalty means nothing to them-get a good deal then look around for the next one - the savings usually far outweigh the hassle
And that avatar is fantastic - chasing a tesco beefburger is he?
Sound advice...and I thought the dog was chasing the Insurance guy.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
before you contact your existing company go on meerkats and get some quotes , then youll know if their ripping you off. as long as youve got your last renewal notice with the no claims on it youll have proof for your new policy (s).

if you go down the meerkat route dont buy immediatly off the site...start filling out the chosen form and stop before paying. usually the company notice youve had a problem and will telephone you within a couple of hours ....usually with an even cheaper quote...if they dont you can retrieve the meerkat quote and continue later.

we go through this process with 4 cars in the immediate family, all on different policies with different companies. sometimes weve bought a new policy off meerkats with the same company that offered the renewal...but at a far cheaper fee. they try to screw you on renewals cos they know people renew without checking whats on offer elsewhere