Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.22 Average
Wire Help?
Smile 
I want to add a 12v LED strip light in the back of the van so that when the door opens it come on with the interior light. Therefore i want to connect the strip light onto the same circuit as the back interior light.

Im struggling as to which wires to connect together? On the interior light there are...

Grey x2
Pink
Brown
Green/Yellow

The LED strip light has the standard + / -

Thank you in advance. Luke.
Without a wiring diagram-green/yellow is ground to chassis so thats your return from the led
(A recent similar enquiry was sorted with the fact that led lights have to be wired in the right direction so dont forget that)
One of the other wires is direct from the fuse, another will be from the door switch.
If possible see what colour the switch is using and Bobs Yours.
I've done exactly the samebut I'm stuck at work so can't go and look at present. Easiest way is to get yourself a cheap multimeter and test the voltages on the various wires (that's what I did) or take one of the lamps apart to see which wire goes where.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
(29-01-2013, 03:13 PM)evdama Wrote:  Without a wiring diagram-green/yellow is ground to chassis so thats your return from the led
(A recent similar enquiry was sorted with the fact that led lights have to be wired in the right direction so dont forget that)
One of the other wires is direct from the fuse, another will be from the door switch.

Sorry im still a little consfused. Sad
So the two wires that are coming from my LED. One connects to the switch/door wire? and the other to where?

Thanks
(29-01-2013, 03:41 PM)rosserluke Wrote:  
(29-01-2013, 03:13 PM)evdama Wrote:  Without a wiring diagram-green/yellow is ground to chassis so thats your return from the led

Sorry im still a little consfused. Sad
So the two wires that are coming from my LED. One connects to the switch/door wire? and the other to where?

Thanks
one of the LED wires to the green /yellow and the other led wire to the colour that comes from the door switch.

If as crickleymal suggests ,you have a meter youll be able to see which one that is by checking voltage as the door is opened and closed.
Otherwise look at the wire colours at the door switch itself
Thanks for your help guys Smile

I took the cheats way and simply wired the led straight onto the switch directly in the light.
Similar to this....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(29-01-2013, 04:47 PM)rosserluke Wrote:  Thanks for your help guys Smile

I took the cheats way and simply wired the led straight onto the switch directly in the light.
Similar to this....

Simples!
Well done

I would get some heat resistant sleeving on those wires though especially if you use the light a lot
On my 1996 1.9d the wires into the back light connector are no 1 and 2 are live. no 3 is for the door switches and no 4 is the earth.
Use wires no1/2 for feed and no 4 for earth .
:thumbsup: