Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.31 Average
berlingo tailgate will not lock
2003 citroen berlingo 1,9 multispace

When i close the tailgate, it does shut and opens only when i lift the handle, but it will not lock either by the key or the central locking button, all other doors lock with the central locking, but not the tailgate. I would be grateful for any advice
If the lock appears to be operating but the tailgate doesn't
lock then it's likely to be a latch activating rod/lever/piece of damp French string(!)
which has come adrift inside the tailgate.
Hang around a bit for our Techie guys to give you the probable cause and what to do!
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
Mine went but whilst still under warranty and as I recall it was a spring of some sort inside the mechanism.
Had this with both my berlingo's!!!
Theres a bit of wire that comes off, sounds a bit silly but i made a new one with a metal coat hanger, makes the lock a little bit harder to operate but works a treat!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Kirkham2010 for this post
There is a spring on the lock mechanism which moves the actuator away from the handle when the lock is turned. If the spring is missing it allows the actuator to remain in the unlocked position. I faffed about with other springs which didn't really work. Bit the bullet and bought a whole new mechanism which was £26 from the local peugeot stealer iirc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
[+] 1 user says Thank You to divingscubaboy for this post
Hi All
I will try and investigate the lock mechanism, is there
a video tutorial available or perhaps any diagrams etc
many thanks for your advice,
Its pretty straightforward. You need to remove the cover from the the recessed interior plastic handle of the boot. Undo the bolts underneath. You should iirc then pull be able to pull the plastic trim panel off. You'll be able to see the lock mechanism. Turn the key in the lock whilst watching the white plastic actuator. When you turn the key to the lock position you should see the actuator move away from the handle. When you release the key in the lock the actuator should stay away from the handle. If it doesn't then the spring in the mechanism has probably broken and disappeared.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
Many thanks for your kind advice!
Hi All,
This an old thread but I am new to here and this is my first post to, hopefully, help someone.
I had the same problem and managed to get it sorted with a 20p spring.

I have attached photos in 1 complete photo
It shows the snapped spring, the new spring I bought and the new location I drilled holes in to install it.

I basically needed the spring to put the white plastic lever under tension when unlocked.

It wasn't a very strong spring but it was enough to do the job.

Hope this helps someone.

[+] 4 users say Thank You to gadgetboarder for this post
Nifty and economical fix - good work.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post