Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Timing Belt, Water Pump and Radiator
Morning All,

I have a leaky radiator, and need the timing belt (+waterpump) changing on my Berlingo 1.4 petrol.

I have had a finger in the air quote from the garage of £400 to £500 to do the whole job. Is this reasonable?

How difficult is it to do the job myself? Can it be done by following a haynes manual?
(06-03-2013, 11:11 AM)Dingbat46 Wrote:  Morning All,

I have a leaky radiator, and need the timing belt (+waterpump) changing on my Berlingo 1.4 petrol.

I have had a finger in the air quote from the garage of £400 to £500 to do the whole job. Is this reasonable?

How difficult is it to do the job myself? Can it be done by following a haynes manual?

Hi, i think its ok on price changing timing belts with out the right tools is not a good idea, get it wrong and the engine is damaged but you can change the rad ok new one around £90.00. jre
Just another question, would the 206 engine be the same as I have in the Berlingo and therefore would this guide be appropriate? http://www.eastment.net/206cb/index.htm
It's basically the same motor, make sure you get the correct belt kit as there are two lengths/tooth counts of belt and with them come different tensioners and water pumps. This all changed mid-2000.

A Nissens radiator will often be the cheapest of "name" brands.

See comments elsewhere on the forum about jacking the motor up or down to access certain bolts to its offside.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post
(06-03-2013, 12:24 PM)addo Wrote:  It's basically the same motor, make sure you get the correct belt kit as there are two lengths/tooth counts of belt and with them come different tensioners and water pumps. This all changed mid-2000.

A Nissens radiator will often be the cheapest of "name" brands.

See comments elsewhere on the forum about jacking the motor up or down to access certain bolts to its offside.

Thanks, is there any way of knowing without stripping them off the engine first? It is a 2008 Berlingo if that helps?
It can be read off the motor's serial number on the block front, however being 2008 I would say confidently yours is the later type timing kit.
(06-03-2013, 12:30 PM)addo Wrote:  It can be read off the motor's serial number on the block front, however being 2008 I would say confidently yours is the later type timing kit.

Thanks! Now to just find a free weekend to do it!