Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
How much should I be paying for front wheel bearing?
Afternoon guys,

Been looking at wheel bearing prices as need to replace front left but how much should I be looking to pay for the bearing itself. Had a look on ebay and some for bout £20 or on europarts looking of £40/50 and upwards. Are the cheaper ebay ones any good or should I be spending a bit more?
Not sure which model Berlingo you have, the MK111 has a magnetic sender on the bearing seal, and these cost a fair bit more than the older type. You will pay more for a SKF or other top brand unit.I can get cheap ones for around £20, but a quality brand can cost double sometimes. If it was mine and I was keeping it , I would pay a bit more for a good one.
Ive just put two front bearings in my Mk2 and took them to the garage to have them pressed in. When the mechanic had one of the bearings in his hand I asked him how much he thought they'd cost. He looked at them and said he didnt know (a bit reluctant I guess). I asked if he thought they looked cheap or not. He said they looked fine and couldnt see anything iffy about them. He said they were pretty much the same as what they fitted.
These bearings cost me £21 for the pair, delivered and with two new hub nuts and circlips. Maybe I'll find out that they're naff in a few months but the only reason I went for cheaper (some were as low as £8 each on ebay) is because where I live, we get road flooding and driving through deep puddles knackers the bearings when the water forces the grease out. No point me buyng SKF's at £45 if theyre gonna get the same treatment.