Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Which tools etc for a front disk and pad change?
Hello,
The disks and pads on my Mk2 berlingo are due changing and I thought I'd have a bash at it myself. I've read through all the related info I can find on the forum, but there's still a few areas I'm unsure of...

Which type of paste should I use to seat the new brake pads into the calipers?

What type of cleaner should be used to degrease the new disk after I have its fitted?

Do I need a brake piston wind-back tool to get the piston back to its original state, if so , could you recommend a brand/model.

Will a hand wire brush be sufficient to clean the caliper prior to refitting?

Hopefully this info will be helpful for others on the forum too.

Thanks
Copper grease will do nicely. In fact it probably comes with the brake pads anyway.

I used white spirit when I fitted my discs a couple of months ago. Petrol will also do I suspect.

I didn't need a wind up tool with my Bosch brakes but I can't vouch for other sorts. IIRC the Haynes manual doesn't mention one so you should be ok with a G clamp which is what I used.

Yes a wire brush will do. I didn't use one but if you feel you need to clean them carry on.

I think you may need torx drivers to take the caliper off. I recall being worried they might round off but they didn't, in fact it was pretty painless and one of the more straightforward brake disc changes that I've done.

Don't forget to really clean the surface where the disc sits. A light even coating of copper grease before you put the new disc on helps.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
You only need wind back tools with handbrake calipers. Get a clamp for the rubber flexy to the caliper and undo the bleed nipple when you force the piston back in. I wipe discs with cellulose thinners but aerosol brake cleaner will do it
So where does this bit go then ?
you'll need a 14mm spanner for the calipers. a T55 for the carriers and another torx bit for the disc screws (t30 or t40 maybe) i could go out and find out but im way too lazy today.
What type and specification of hammer would be required to perform the remove and replacement of the disc pads ?????
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Left handed for the near side and right handed for the offside. Preferably an iron alloy.
Malc

Stupid computer!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to crickleymal for this post
(06-05-2013, 03:19 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  Left handed for the near side and right handed for the offside. Preferably an iron alloy.

Thanks for that, what dynamic mass should be chosen for this tool ???Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[+] 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post
(06-05-2013, 04:17 PM)andy-womble Wrote:  
(06-05-2013, 03:19 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  Left handed for the near side and right handed for the offside. Preferably an iron alloy.

Thanks for that, what dynamic mass should be chosen for this tool ???Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme::whistle::whistle::whistle:

14 KN/ms-2. If you can get one with a double helix wound, vertically aligned throckmorton then life will be made much easier.
Malc

Stupid computer!
[+] 2 users say Thank You to crickleymal for this post
"If you can get one with a double helix wound, vertically aligned throckmorton then life will be made much easier."

Is that the one with the solid giggle pin or the swinging one. Prefer the solid one myself as I've had too many accidents with the swinging one.

:whistle:
[+] 2 users say Thank You to brodfather11 for this post
Give it a belt with the brumijum screwdriver.