Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rear wiper motor problem...
My rear wiper doesn't work, the motor makes a brief whirring noise but thats it...

Having drilled out the rivets and opened up the unit, upon closer inspection the worm gear has eaten the plastic cog which drives the mech, caused by the mech seizing... so it's proper fecked.

I enquired at the local breakers and he had two units sat around but they were off facelift models and have a 3 pin block instead of a 4 pin... is there any way of rewiring/still using one of them? from what I've seen they're a pinch at £30 a piece.

the car only cost £250, I'm not looking to pay the prices I've seen on fleabay just for a wiper unit!

Ah, probably worth mentioning its a mk1 2002 multispace.
I have just fixed exactly the same problem recently (on my Mk1 2002 Berlingo, i.e. same type as yours).

It appears it is a very well known problem (i.e. failing wiper motor - due to washer fluid leaking inside, causing rusty mechanics, and ultimately failure of the gear). If you search a bit you will find several other threads discussing this issue (sorry for not being able to provide any links right now).

Anyway, here is what I did after studying the available info:

Got a new wiper motor from dealer (mk2 model I realized later...). When I got home the connector didn't fit.. As you said the old has 4 pins, the new one has 3. So I went back to the shop and got a small adapter kit (a plastic clip and three small metal pins, not expensive) and an instruction on how to connect the pins (I can dig this info out for you if needed) - as I said the problem is well known.

Also the mk2 wiper motor has a longer spindle than the original, so you need to also get a new mk2 type wiper arm or find a creative way to mount the old wiper arm (or live with a poor fit).

Note: instead of the huge pop rivets you may consider mounting the new motor with bolts (M6 I think) like I did, although it is a bit tricky to get them in place.

Hope this is helpful (this is my first post ever!). Otherwise, as I said, the info is already out there...

[+] 4 users say Thank You to crosberg for this post
Brilliant... thats exactly what i needed to know!

If you could possibly dig out the info on how to connect the pins that would be very helpful, thanks fella Smile
just got onto citroen and ordered the 3 into 4 adaptor.... thanks for sharing your knowlege Smile
Ok, to follow up, here is how to match the old and new pins..

Old 4 pin connector (on car) to new 3 pin connector (on wiper motor):
1 -> 2
2 -> X
3 -> 1
4 -> 3
The numbers are hardly visible on the connectors, but look closely and you will see them molded in the plastic blocks. X means dead end, i.e. isolate this lead - it is not used. On my car 1 is the yellow wire, 3 is the grey, and 4 is the yellow/green (chassis earth).

The above is for a car with a BSI. Without a BSI there is also a relay involved, and then the connections get a bit more complicated..

Good luck! It worked for me :-)
[+] 1 user says Thank You to crosberg for this post