Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Engine] sudden engine cut out after cold start
Hi there i run my MK2 Berlingo on mixed oil and diesel has been fine and less knocking than normal diesel but have just had a few problems, the engine randomly went a little lummpy from time to time but on starting it last time dash lights came on and off and engine stopped , since i bought it have had a few electrical probs which have been bad connectors these i sorted and all has worked well since where can i find the fuel cut of and how do i test pump and cut off valve ? :brickwall:
When you say you run your Berlingo on ' mixed oil and diesel' are you referring to vegetable oil?
Vegetable oil is fine, along as it isn't hdi, then it's likely kaput!
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
mixed soya oil and sunflower oil plus some diesel note to others steer clear of rape seed oil.

not HDI and i tend to use mixed soya and sunflower oil with some diesel and it runs nice and quiet no knocking or pinking think may be a fuel cut out solenoid or isolator not sure where to look thow.
(22-05-2013, 02:20 PM)jammyone11 Wrote:  mixed soya oil and sunflower oil plus some diesel note to others steer clear of rape seed oil.

not HDI and i tend to use mixed soya and sunflower oil with some diesel and it runs nice and quiet no knocking or pinking think may be a fuel cut out solenoid or isolator not sure where to look thow.

I read you could only run it on veg/sunflower oil, etc if it has a Bosch fuel pump. If it has a Lucas pump the oil destroys the seals in the pump apparently.
I'm fairly sure that the early XUD engines have Bosch pumps but the later DW8 engine has a Lucas.
It might be worth checking this.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pablo64 for this post:
  • jammyone11
Thanks i will check on this
My old C15 ran for 8 years/70,000 miles on veggie oil mix,Lucas pump & no problems.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(22-05-2013, 07:58 PM)ron Wrote:  My old C15 ran for 8 years/70,000 miles on veggie oil mix,Lucas pump & no problems.:thumbsup:

Wow! That's impressive! Maybe Lucas pumps were better then..

What mix ratio did you use?
(22-05-2013, 08:28 PM)pablo64 Wrote:  
(22-05-2013, 07:58 PM)ron Wrote:  My old C15 ran for 8 years/70,000 miles on veggie oil mix,Lucas pump & no problems.:thumbsup:

Wow! That's impressive! Maybe Lucas pumps were better then..

What mix ratio did you use?

Up to 75% in summer & only 25% in winter due to bad starting.But if I added 1/2 pint of petrol to a FULL tank it would start on summer mix. (I used to get petrol free through my job):woop::woop:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Free petrol? I need that job!

Would be very interested to chat more about the whole veg oil thing and hear about your experiences with it Ron but don't want to hijack the OP's thread.
I'll start another thread when I've got more time.
Cheers