Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Aftermarket Parking sensors
Question 
I bought some fairly cheap reverse parking sensors to fit to the berlingo as neither I nor t'other half have got used to the distance. £15 off ebay.

It should in theory be simple to fit. Just wire into the reversing lamp. But there's a really prominent warning on the real light wires that nothing should be connected that draws more than 10mA. The installation manual for the sensors say they draw 3.6W. That works out as 300mA.

So, rather than directly connect, I think I should I fit a relay that is switched by the reversing light? Where I plan to fit the control unit (rear driver's side), there's a cigarette lighter socket, so a permanent 12v is available.
There's also a white connector block with a white wire that seems to be 12v (labelled 3207). The others wires are a green/yellow (6359) and peach (319). I could use this 12v, but what is the connector?

What sort of relay should I be looking at? Or is it safe, despite the warning on the connector block for the lights.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The Bus: 2009 MkIII VTR HDi 90, 7 Seater
Not sure what power a normal electro-magnetic relay needs to energise but maybe you need an electronic relay that is switched by transistors rather than the "old school".
Possibly a bypass relay similar to the ones used to wire-in sockets for tow bars would be required. No connections or pecuniray interest in the company but have a look on Towsure website for details.
Think mine cost about £25.00 but that does all the lights and everything so maybe one for a single circuit would be cheaper.
Good luck and let us know how you go on...
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
After looking at relays, they draw similar power to the unit itself, so I'vetaken the chance and wired it direct to the reversing light and earth. There's no bulb failure or fault codes on the dash, so I'm guessing its OK.

One thing I did do wrong was misjudge where the hole in the bumper beam is. Outer sensors were an easy fit, but the two inner ones, spaced equally from each other and the outer ones were just (about half an inch) outside the hole. I've glued the little disks I cut out back in and its not REALLY obvious. But its not perfect. Sad
The Bus: 2009 MkIII VTR HDi 90, 7 Seater
(23-04-2011, 04:02 PM)Guanajuato Wrote:  After looking at relays, they draw similar power to the unit itself, so I'vetaken the chance and wired it direct to the reversing light and earth. There's no bulb failure or fault codes on the dash, so I'm guessing its OK.

Good, glad it has worked ok for you.

The pitfalls of wiring on these new fangled electronic gismos are becoming a regular PITA and one has to be so careful to avoid permanent damage and FUBAR....

Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
I bought this kit a while ago after i was told it isnt a cheap chinese toy.

[Image: cUKwG.jpg]

[Image: ULGXE.jpg]

Still boxed, and still yet to fit. Think its going to stay that way too.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here
 [Image: mybbsig.php]

I bought this for the present Mrs Coco to avoid having to cut holes etc

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/i...oductId=94

Now moved to her present vehicle and still working fine. Not cheap but suited me at the time and obviously the more vehicles it can be moved to, the cheaper it becomes
(25-04-2011, 05:08 PM)Coco Wrote:  I bought this for the present Mrs Coco to avoid having to cut holes etc

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/i...oductId=94 ...

Thanks Coco - just ordered some off Ebay .
I can reverse quite competently but I have some money burning a hole in my pocket Wink

It's not true what they say about Yorkshiremen having deep pockets and short arms :whistle:

YB :wave:

So Mr Bling.. What did you 'choose' as a sensor?
I've got to get something sorted out as my last car had them fitted as standard and I find myself reversing and waiting for the beep..
[fon‌t=Verdana] 2010 VTR in Wicked 'Postman Pat'[/font] Red.
I bought the ones Coco linked and I quoted in my earlier post.
The e-bay purchase was cancelled due to lack of stock Rolleyes [same item different vendor].

You're wanting to know if they're any good aren't you. Well I don't know as I got busy with work that pays the bills and just haven't been ar5ed to finish the job further than mounting the sensors :oops:

I'll get back to you or maybe Coco can comment.

YB :wave:
[Image: 6d4et5j]
They work well. The surround has the sensors built in at a pre-determined angle, meaning that it can be mounted one of two ways depending on the angle of the rear of the vehicle. In our case it will be obvious which way they go.

Adjustable for range and easy as any others to wire in. One downside is that as there are only two of them quite centrally mounted you don't get the same detection of objects to the side. This doesn't matter if you are reversing in a straight line as you will only be interested in your proximity to things behind you that you can't see. Plus side, as I said, is that you don't need any drilling holes to fit them.

In short, quite happy with them.