Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Engine management light is on is there a way of resetting it?
HI
I recently bought an 03 1.9 Berlingo multispace forte which had a broken cat so i am assuming this is why the Engine management light was on as the vehicle is running fine. I changed the cat and the Engine management light is still on so i was wondering is there any way i can reset the engine so that the Engine management light goes off?
Cheers Ritch
That light an be there for a whole lot of reasons...

Some faults are considered 'transient' and the light will disappear as soon as the cause has been fixed. Others require the error flag to be reset.
(Faulty sensors are usually 'transient'. And in many cases, the engine runs OK because the ECU failovers to use default or calculated values. )

You need to find someone who has Lexia3 to read out the errors and reset the ECU.
(I don't know if a 03 can be read with generic OBD II equipment. doubt it, though)
and you need to get it done soon if there's still a problem, not just a flag that needs resetting.
Thank you Gagetman for your reply Smile
So if the cat was at fault and it was replaced with a new one would the Engine management light go out if that had been the only fault?
Cheers
(20-07-2013, 11:22 AM)tmm Wrote:  Thank you Gagetman for your reply Smile
So if the cat was at fault and it was replaced with a new one would the Engine management light go out if that had been the only fault?
Cheers

The cat is always at fault and if he sharpens claws on the furniture once more he will indeed be broken and replaced with a new one
[+] 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post
The cat is always at fault and if he sharpens claws on the furniture once more he will indeed be broken and replaced with a new one
[/quote]
HA HA HA I concur!
hi there. Your 1.9 Cat is does not have any sensor on it to give a fault warning, my 1.9 cat was split and I threw it away and fitted a by-pass pipe purchased from Ebay, it has passed all MOT tests since.
Thanks Barkas for a sensible answer.