Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average
[Transmission] driveshaft oil seal keeps failing
hi folks 2002 1.9d 70,000 miles
about two months ago ofside driveshaft oil seal began to leak myself and mate replaced it with new redesigned oil seal, a couple of days later it leaks again i wasnt course when fitting the seal but assumed i must have damaged it when fitting the driveshaft. priced job at local garage second seal fitted by them a couple of days later it leaks again took it back third seal, mechanic said small scratch on driveshaft buffed of with wire brush, run on ramp for about half an hour all ok then seal gives way major oil leak, didnt get out of garage told them to replace driveshaft fourth seal replaced put on ramp and run for half hour road tested all seemed ok a couple of days later it leaks again this is only the driver side seal cant understand why repeated failure of the same seal any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

many thanks
Is there some sort of breather that may be blocked causing an excessive build up of pressure (I'm sure the more knowledgeable will confim)
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
I'd suspect the offside carrier bearing could be collapsing, this would flog out the seal.

What does the failed seal look like - is it tight on the driveshaft still?
(25-07-2013, 09:32 AM)addo Wrote:  I'd suspect the offside carrier bearing could be collapsing, this would flog out the seal.

What does the failed seal look like - is it tight on the driveshaft still?

the seal looks tight to the shaft it is not passing much just enough to leave a drip on road, do you mean the bearing on the differential as the offside drive shaft was replaced and is this a monster job
Thanks for your speedy replys
check the bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine. years ago i had a citroen Bx diesel with exactly the same fault,it was the bolts worked loose allowing the gearbox to bend on the o/s driveshat