Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 2.95 Average
How do I know what front brake discs I need without looking? (2 types)
I've got a 03 plate 1.9d forte and I need new front discs said a mechanic who quoted me £150! so I'm going to buy some off ebay and do it myself - question is how do I know which I need?

Thanks in advance
Most of the people selling them will be able to confirm that they're the correct ones for your car if you give them your VIN or registration number.
If I recall there are two slightly different sizes. I think my 2004 has 265mm discs.

Safest way is to take a wheel off and measure them and check the make of the caliper.

Saves buyer them twice.
(13-05-2011, 11:38 AM)alexx Wrote:  I've got a 03 plate 1.9d forte and I need new front discs

Only VIN can tell you what disks do you need.
If you really need it, send me a VIN to PM.
Your car is not equipped with ABS.
Original sparepart- 4246 W1. Replacement for this sparepart- 4249 G1 or E 169 141
Diametr - 266 mm. Type - Bosch

Non-original sparepart replacement:

Fenox TB217086
Febi 21120
NK 201929
Delphi BG3620
Bosch 0 986 478 618
Mapco 15310
Lemforder 30879 01
Meyle 11-15 521 0017
Klaxcar france 25024Z
Brembo 09.8695.14
Quinton Hazell BDC5240
AC Delco AC2569D
DF 4184
Optimal BS-6020
Quinton Hazell BDC5240
Ate 24.0122-0194.1
Valeo 186 695

I think this will be enough.
don't discount eurocarparts.com website. That can take your registration number and from there tells you what you need. BTW, for what it's worth, I am not a huge fan of buying brake parts on line. Relatively heavy to ship and if bought prudently through a local motor-factors, rarely works out much cheaper. Shop around locally to see what you can find and remember that it's better to spend the money on your car's parts than it is their postage.

asides that, berlingo brakes are a doddle. To change the discs on mine (which I did a good while ago) I needed a TX55 torx bit (if I remember correctly) and an 18" breaker bar to undo the caliper carriers so I could get the old disc out.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Phil_G for this post:
  • Hung2hi
(14-05-2011, 01:15 AM)Phil_G Wrote:  don't discount eurocarparts.com website. That can take your registration number and from there tells you what you need. BTW, for what it's worth, I am not a huge fan of buying brake parts on line. Relatively heavy to ship and if bought prudently through a local motor-factors, rarely works out much cheaper. Shop around locally to see what you can find and remember that it's better to spend the money on your car's parts than it is their postage.

asides that, berlingo brakes are a doddle. To change the discs on mine (which I did a good while ago) I needed a TX55 torx bit (if I remember correctly) and an 18" breaker bar to undo the caliper carriers so I could get the old disc out.

Phil is bang in imo. Don't buy them online, just pop into your local ECP (take a look online before hand and enter your reg so you know whats available) and buy a set. You should change the pads with the disks really, so get your hands on a set.

Changing is very easy, but where it will go wrong is removing the bolts, so make sure you are prepared for that, you dont want to round any heads.

-Remove the wheel, then remove the bolt that holds the caliper shut (which can be found at the top of the caliper on the back of it.Removing this bolt will allow you two swing open the caliper and remove the pads.

Now that the caliper is free, it will still be attached to the vehicle via the brake fluid cable. Do not allow the caliper to hang by this cable, rest it on something and take the weight off that cable.

- Then there are two hex bolts on the back of the caliper that need taking out, these are tough so make sure you have the appropriate tools.

- Nearly there now, just remove the two Torx bolts from the front of the caliper; use one strong and swift movement because the disk will be rolling around, and you dont want to round the heads as they will be tight!

Good luck, any problems, then let us know. Maybe some pics would be good for a tut!

Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

thanks guys all very helpful! I managed to find a set of mintex discs and pads for £40 posted thou- thats what I did on my volvo so did it again as it seemed fairly straight forward! looks like I should buy a torx key and a breaker bar then Big Grin
got it all off just having a brew break before trying to tackle the 2 big hex bolts on the caliper carrier - any suggestions for a lefty without a pit?
Job done, helpful pointers for anyone else -

Once your wheels off and caliper body - spray wd40 or gt85 onto the two large torq bolts holding the caliper cradle on.
Give them a firm whack or 2 with a hammer to unbond any corrosion
Get as much leverage as you can with a breaker bar - Mine was about 2 foot long and it was still a bit of a tug for me (large build)

Other than that its all easy Smile