Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 2.56 Average
Windscreen rubber
Hi, just wondering where any rain water goes if it passes the windscreen rubber. Does it drain to the outside or into the footwell? At the top of the front windscreen there are the two grooves which are in line with the roofbar fittings. The windscreen rubber should seal over these but there's a gap of about 2mm where rain water runs in. I'm thinking of sealing it up. Is it worth it? Thanks bigsacsSmile
Are you getting rainwater entering the car?

If not, I would be tempted to leave well alone as it is obviously draining off ok...
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Hi, not entirely sure if its getting into the footwell or not. The carpet feels dry but haven't lifted them to feel underneath. The rubber seal has two shapes moulded into it which l presume should seal tightly against the frame. I suspect the rubber may be needing replaced but wondering if worth the grief. Its probably another poor design from citroen which only shows after 5 years or so! Sad
I have noticed this on mine too.

I thought that at some time the windscreen had been replaced and this had led to what appears to be poorly fitting rubbers, perhaps not.

Mine does not get wet in the footwells, but does tend to mist up somewhat in wet weather. Also, when it is wet and I am driving I can hear the sound of water moving (noise is hard to describe but unmistakeable). This appears to be coming from the windscreeen pillar, but as the noise stops when I do, it's very difficult to be sure. I've had the instrument cluster out and can find no trace of water behind there anywhere and nothing seems to get wet anywhere in the dash area. I am sure it's there somewhere but can't find it.
Coco,

I've had a look at other berlingo's in the street, hopefully without causing their owners too much distress! They all seem to have the same poor fitting rubber. I've not heard the running water sound you describe but it reminds me of a metro l owned years ago which had a sloshing sound every time the car braked. I eventually found the cause. The sun roof drained at each corner into a rubber pipe which terminated half way down the A&B posts so dripping into the sills but the drain holes in the sills were so blocked it couldn't escape!! I cleared them and l kid you not about 2 pints came out each side!! No more sloshing but the car fell apart soon after! Strangely enough a friend had a Peugeot 106 with exactly the same problem.

I'm off to check the sills on my Berlingo:S
Just sold a Clio with a sunroof and you could hear the water draining out of that when first driven after rain. Fortunately it drained correctly down the A pillar and onto the road.
Will check my screen rubber now, just in case....
Reminds me of a Fiat I had. Couldn't work out why the boot kept getting wet, tried everything even me shut in the boot and the present Mrs Coco playing a hose all round - no joy at all. I eventually had enough and stripped all the trim out and found.....................the drain tube from the sunroof not pushed through the still painted grommet and emptying into the boot. Italian build quality at it's best!

Off to check my sills later
(14-05-2011, 11:38 AM)bigsacs Wrote:  Hi, just wondering where any rain water goes if it passes the windscreen rubber. Does it drain to the outside or into the footwell? At the top of the front windscreen there are the two grooves which are in line with the roofbar fittings. The windscreen rubber should seal over these but there's a gap of about 2mm where rain water runs in. I'm thinking of sealing it up. Is it worth it? Thanks bigsacsSmile

We have just encountered a similar problem, didnt notice gap
in rubber, until , electrical box and alternator went as a result of

water leaking into box, from badly fitting windscreen. Very expensive will fitting a new windscreen solve future problems ?thanks ducky