Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
weird grating noise under the bonnet 1900 diesel 2000 my
And I'm back...

Weird intermittent grating kinda noise coming from what appears to be the top rear of the engine on the right. Thought at first it was a clutch noise. It never changes regardless of engine speed or gearbox speed, neither is it affected by the position of the clutch pedal. It can do it at idle or in gear.

It isn't affecting how it drives.

Any ideas?

Cheers
D
Have you mudflaps on the front, ? is one hanging down and rubbing on the road especially when turning corners.
Just a thought!

Rolleyes
(30-08-2013, 04:33 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Have you mudflaps on the front, ? is one hanging down and rubbing on the road especially when turning corners.
Just a thought!

Rolleyes

Hello. No, don't have those and it can make this noise at idle when stationary. But Thanks for your thoughts :-)
Get a long screwdriver or even an old bit of copper tube and place the end on where the noise is coming from stick your ear on the other and listen. move it about and you may be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Seems to be coming from around all that plastic inlet manifold stuff. Is there any shielding that might have come loose under that? More of a grating than a rattle though
Are you sure it's not the timing belt falling apart or tracking off?
(31-08-2013, 11:07 AM)addo Wrote:  Are you sure it's not the timing belt falling apart or tracking off?

Hi again. Coming from the other side of the engine under the inlet manifold definitely. On the belt subject, I noted that the fan belt looked a bit dodgy so knowing how sounds can travel and with the same cam belt failing thought you mention, I pulled the cam belt cover off to see what that looked like. Looked ok.

I had the van up for sale anyway since I need something with a longer load area. The chap who bought it brought a mechanic and neither of them seemed bothered about it, so it's gone. Guess we'll never know what it was.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for all the help and quality information freely given over my short period of Berlingo ownership. Who knows, I might end up with another one day and I'll know where to come for top quality advice.

CHEERS!

D
[+] 3 users say Thank You to BigDunkyWunky for this post