Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[Engine] Revving high when stationary
Some history:

Our Petrol 1.4 2005 berlingo had a troublesome engine and after a few fixes the valves burned so we decided to replace the engine with a second hand one.

For as long as we have the car, the catalytic converter or the o2 sensor is not working correctly and produces a fault code, even after removing it. This has obviously not changed after replacing the engine.

The new engine works well and the car drives beautiful. But...

After a 10 minute drive, when reducing speed and eventually halting (at traffic light for example) the engine starts revving automatically up to about 3 times the normal stationary rpm. As soon as we start moving again, the engine performs normal again.

This auto revving does however not happen if we approach the traffic light and break harder. Even a slight 'hard' break before we completely halt will prevent/stop the auto-revving.

Anybody experienced this and how can it be 'fixed'?
It may be a faulty stop lamp switch The same part is problematic in Citroën C5 models of similar age.

It is also slightly possible the ECU has developed a fault. It's not a common occurrence with the Berlingo, though.
I had the same problem with my Kia before we bought the Berlingo and it was the throttle position sensor. I could bring the revs back down by letting the clutch out in 1st gear till biting point then dipping it again and the tick over dropped back to normal.
So where does this bit go then ?
(12-09-2013, 09:24 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  I had the same problem with my Kia before we bought the Berlingo and it was the throttle position sensor. I could bring the revs back down by letting the clutch out in 1st gear till biting point then dipping it again and the tick over dropped back to normal.

That indeed does the trick as well. Where would this sensor be located on my Berlingo? Is that the unit next to the engine where the throttle cable goes in?

(12-09-2013, 08:58 AM)addo Wrote:  It may be a faulty stop lamp switch The same part is problematic in Citroën C5 models of similar age.

I assume that affects the break lights as well then? If so, can I conclude that if they work OK, the switch is not faulty?
No, not necessarily. The contacts are undersize and get eroded by sparking. If you pull the switch apart it is easy to see if they're on the way out.
(12-09-2013, 10:08 AM)addo Wrote:  No, not necessarily. The contacts are undersize and get eroded by sparking. If you pull the switch apart it is easy to see if they're on the way out.

Where would I find that switch?
This reminds me of a Rover 213S I owned about 15 years ago, it would behave in the exact same manner, I never got to the cause of the fault.

[Image: 1239455.jpg]
If its the brake light switch you are after its up on a bracket above the brake pedal.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
It does sound as though the brake light switch could have something to do with it. Perhaps it's not operating when you push the pedal gently, when you push hard the pedal goes down further and the switch operates.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
The throttle position sensor is on the end of the throttle butterfly on most cars. It's a black plastic thing only held on with a couple of screws and has a wiring connector.
[Image: $(KGrHqZ,!oIE9c9!2CLcBPZQ1oLyg!~~60_12.JPG]
So where does this bit go then ?