Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Payloads
I was asked to carry a load yesterday on a pallet with a weight a 550kgs yesterday. I turned the job down as I was concerned the weight of the load could make the van overweight even though the Mk2 Berlingo 600 officially has a 600kg payload.

I was wondering if anyone had ever put their Berlingo on a weighbridge to work out exactly what they could legally carry?

Now I'm not sure how Citroen calculate the official payload as there is no information in the handbook, but I seem to remember from when I had a Vauxhall Combo the handbook said the official payload was based on the basic van, an average weight driver and ½ tank of fuel I think. If any extras where fitted such as a bulkhead, ply lining, air con, front fog lights, side loading doors, etc then you had to subtract the weight of these (whic was given in the book) from the official payload to get your actual payload.

My van has a solid steel full height bulkhead which I estimate must be at least 15kg, it's ply lined which is probably another 15kg, plus with the weight of me, a full tank of fuel and other bits and bobs I carry with me I wouldn't be suprised if that lot doesn't lob at least 50kg off the payload. I was probably right to refuse the load and having given it some thought I'm limiting myself now to a max of 500kg as I want to stay legal!

Can a moderator please move this, I have stupidly posted it in the wrong place! DOH!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post
Although I'm sure you could drive safely with that load, I applaud your desire to stay legally "safe".
[+] 2 users say Thank You to addo for this post
Mine has a payload of 800k, but passenger and driver at 200kg, full tank of fuel at 65kg, ply lining and all my other bits and bobs soon brings that down to around 500 and probably much less.

You did right to turn the job down.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to steve valentine for this post
(26-09-2013, 11:22 AM)addo Wrote:  Although I'm sure you could drive safely with that load, I applaud your desire to stay legally "safe".

(26-09-2013, 11:57 AM)steve valentine Wrote:  Mine has a payload of 800k, but passenger and driver at 200kg, full tank of fuel at 65kg, ply lining and all my other bits and bobs soon brings that down to around 500 and probably much less.

You did right to turn the job down.

At the end of the day I didn't want to chance points and a fine for being overloaded. I know I would have passed at least 1 VOSA checkpoint on route.

I've had a 500kg load on it previously and the back end drops considerably and of course that's the thing the authorities look out for! Fortunately those kind of loads are quite rare for me, I usually deliver lightweight items.
You did right to decline the job .......

I recently collected an Ebay purchase of a HUGE load of Land Rover parts and once inside my Berlingo the tailpipe of the back box was only 3/4" ( or 19mm for you youngsters ) from the floor.
I didn't realise it all was so heavy before I went to collect.
I drove it 130 miles back home and was worried worried worried all the way back home.
Never again for me and I'll even spend out to hire a bigger van just in case.
Luckily all turned out ok.
The thing I find with the Berlingo is if you put the slightest bit of weight on it the back end seems to drop. I can only put it down to the fact it's a torsion bar set up. Also try to load everything ahead of the axle. I had a small pallet with 50kg on it a few weeks back and it was loaded right over the rear axle, handling was awful so I pulled in at the next services and managed to shove it right up to the bulkhead, handling was much better after.
You're right there.The golden rule is as much as poss between axles.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
You are both correct ^^^^ and in fact I had a load stashed in the passenger footwell and seat area as well for that very reason.
My load was two complete 4x4 gearboxes, a rear axle complete with diff, four other diffs, two front axles complete, two pairs of front swivels, eight axle sets of brake drums, eight rear half shaft sets, two pairs of front half shafts, two sets of four wheels with 750x16 tyres, not forgetting a fully dressed 2.0 litre IOE ( an F Head engine if you have iinterest) four prop shafts, plus a whole host of smaller items too numerous to mention or indeed remember !
Initially the seller had around half the number of items but then " discovered " a load more which was thrown in, good for me but not so for the Berlingo !
Needless to say it took some time to pack it all carefully in to tun the van into a Tardis.
Been there, done that with the Xantia, at least it (eventually) pumped back up to appear loaded. Berlingo is currently stood (your SORN) until early November with a PRV V6/ZF gearbox in the rear and that - maybe 400kg total - is weighing it quite a lot down.
(27-09-2013, 09:53 PM)geoff Wrote:  ....diff, four other diffs, two front axles complete, two pairs of front swivels, eight axle sets of brake drums, eight rear half shaft sets, two pairs of front half shafts, two sets of four wheels with 750x16 tyres, not forgetting a fully dressed 2.0 litre IOE four prop shafts, plus a whole host of smaller items too numerous to mention or indeed remember !

Wow!!!! When you get that lot fitted to the Berlingo I'd like to see the pics!! Makes a V6 conversion sound very tame by comparison!! :lol:
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]