Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Revs too high
Hi All
My recently bought 55 plate 1.4 petrol Berlingo seems to have really high revs. When I'm sitting idle the revs are already at 1000 and when I'm going 70mph on the motorway the rev counter is showing 4000 and drains the petrol. Any suggestions???
That sounds about right actually. Fuel consumption might reflect health of the motor or an exhaust blockage.
Could this be anything to do with the lambda sensor being loose. I noticed this the other day as it was making a noise like there was a hole in the exhaust, lifted the bonnet and the lambda sensor was just sitting in the hole rather than being tightened up. Need to try and fix it but not sure if the sensor can be screwed back in or if its sheared off?!
It's a spark plug thread. Unclip the lead and nip it up firmly with a shifter, then reconnect.

That shouldn't affect the RPM, which does sound about right cruising - the idle may be slightly high for any number of reasons. Fuel consumption goes up with aged ("blunted") sensors and engine wear, well as blocked cats.
If it's the catalytic converter and if you want I have a decat pipe that it's going to make it better and drop your fuel consumption. It's still somewhere in the for sale section.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Kokain for this post
Thanks All.
Temp fixed the Lambda sensor yesterday although strangely the thread on the sensor is too small for the thread on the manifold so I had to pack the thread with PTFE tape (that's all I had). I assume it is the wrong sensor that's in it so need to buy a new one.
As for the fuel consumption of that sounds about right I won't bother doing anything with it, I do have an log conversion that's not quite working so that's the next thing im going to have to learn about!
Quote scotia: "I do have an log conversion that's not quite working so that's the next thing im going to have to learn about!.....

Now that I'd be interested in! A wood burning Berlingo!! Getting a bit low on fuel?? Stop by the local industrial estate
and chuck a couple of broken pallets on the fire! Brilliant!! Confusedunny:

A typo!!?? My hopes are dashed and my day is ruined!!! :lol:
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post
ah, a typo indeed! I have an LPG conversion not a log conversion!