Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
The wonderful world of wiper blades!
Hi all.... Keep looking at the flat blade design and thinking that i need some..
Have always used Bosch wipers, for no reason really, just always have! They are functional....

So...
Has anyone got any recommended brands/ designs?
Any special offers out there?
Advantages of flat wipers over conventional designs?

I gratefully await all opinions....:wave:
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
i brought a pair of cheap flat blades of ebay....total rubbish, they worked well for a month and now they miss more than they clean. so you better stick to the bosch flat ones. ill be going back to normal wipers now.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to landcrab for this post
(08-11-2013, 11:15 PM)landcrab Wrote:  i brought a pair of cheap flat blades of ebay....total rubbish, they worked well for a month and now they miss more than they clean. so you better stick to the bosch flat ones. ill be going back to normal wipers now.

Cheers for the opinions... I wonder if the bosch flats are any good though! Smile
The early Berlingo screens are too curved near the edges IMO for good wiping with "flat" style blades.

With blade care, I don't think the really sharp squeegee effect lasts long - at least in our aggressive sunshine - so I clean the blade rubbers thoroughly by scrubbing with a nail brush and neutral detergent, then rinsing well. Seems to remove the hardened outer crust somewhat.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post
I've just replaced flat blades on my mk3 after 4.5yrs so lasted well. I got a new pair of Bosch blades from Eurocarparts £22 incl postage which was much cheaper than Halfords.
There's flat blades on the VW Caddy I drive at the office...
A month after they've been replaced, they're (in my opinion) completely useless...

Nothing beats classic Bosch blades!

If you want to talk about curved blades, take a look at the CX... That big screen cleaned by a single blade. A crappy blade then would mean losing almost half the cleaned area. After driving one of those for a winter or two, you learn to appreciate good quality blades...

Quick note as it's now beginning the winter season, and with frost in parts of the world. When scraping off the ice in the morning there's usually a 'minimum required' area that MUST be cleaned off of ice, or you risk getting fined, or even lose your license for a while.
Here in Norway it's easy to know; the same area cleaned by the wipers must also be cleared of ice. Anything like a hand-sized hole and you're a pedestrian for the winter, and won't have to worry about this for a while...

Of course, not clearing the area completely of ice, then running your wipers is a quick way of ruining the wipers, too...
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post
Something I always do on frosty nights is lift the arms.That way they're not frozen to the screen & not in the way when scraping the ice off.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post
cheers all am sticking with the standard wire frame bosch from now on then! Smile
(11-11-2013, 07:37 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote:  cheers all am sticking with the standard wire frame bosch from now on then! Smile

Try Lidls blades,they're the mutts nuts.:woop:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post
(11-11-2013, 09:13 PM)ron Wrote:  
(11-11-2013, 07:37 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote:  cheers all am sticking with the standard wire frame bosch from now on then! Smile

Try Lidls blades,they're the mutts nuts.:woop:

Will be off to lidls then! Cheers Smile