Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Stereo Locked
Hi, just bought a second hand berlingo its a T-reg 1999 and has a permently locked stereo giving me a --- display on the unit. I have a handbook with the code but it says this is because of to many failed attempts and asks me to seek a main dealer.
Went along to my local dealership today and sod me was treated like I had 2 heads........ No sir never heard of this problem, can run a diagnostic check or either but a new stereo in yourself!!

Can anybody help me of a likely solution to this problem or do I have to buy a new stereo to put in?

Many thanks
You can get the code - if the stereo is original to the car - from either a dealer (if they feel like being helpful) or "citroencodes.com" for around £25.

To start with a clean sheet on the code inputs, you normally need to unplug the stereo for a couple of hours first.
On a vehicle that old I would just take the stereo out and put in a modern one with CD player built in. I did thids on out year 2000 Berlingo, all that was needed was the aerial convertion connector and a short harness to connect up to the Citroen connectors. No need for coding then

Peter
Just a long shot not sure on old berlingos but try leaving the ignition on for say an hour with the radio on to. Radios used to have a feature that after a few failed attempts you are locked out for 15 minutes the after more attempts 30 minutes and so on hense the need to have ignition turned on. When the time is up you can input the code again. If not do as peter says and fit a cheap radio/cd.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Hi, I already have to code the problem is it does not allow me to input it. Ive already tried leaving it on for at least an hour but not resolved it. Have disconnected the battery but only briefly, Ill try leaving it longer see if that could do it.
If I has to put in a new stereo how do you go about finding something that is two tiered or is there a blank that I can get to fill out where the previous stereo was?
Above your present radio and below the air vents there is a pocket that can be removed and a single din radio /cd fits perfect. Just fit the mounting frame that the radio fits in and wire up .
I did it on my 96 1.9d partner so I think you'll have the same setup.:thumbsup: