Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Changing the radiator for the first time
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to change the radiator in my '05 1.6 Hdi. A leak was noticed at the last MOT and it's getting to be a bit of a pain. The local parts shop has quoted £57 for a new radiator, so I thought I'd go for it.
Not having done this previously, are their any pitfalls I should be looking out for? :eek:
Removal/refitting is fairly easy.
When the new rad. is in you must make sure that you bleed the system to
prevent any airlocks.
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
Don't forget the anti freeze at 50%
Thanks Ol' Jeffers. I'm not really clear on how that's done. I assume their must be some sort of bleed valve, but where?

Cheers Geoff, I'll be sure to get some anti freeze in when I buy the radiator. I'm glad you mentioned it, I hate having to make more trips to the parts shop than is necessary.
Here you go Rob....have a read here:
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post
Thanks for the link Ol' Jeffers. Completely answers my question. I haven't had a look at mine yet. It's gone dark, cold and crappy up here in the Northwest so I'll wait until tomorrow morning to have a look. The radiator is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to this getting under way. It's probably a good thing I have all of next week off... I can see Christmas Day rolling around and the radiator still not being in. :censored:
The hardest part of a radiator change for the man on the street is the removal of the hose clips unless you have the correct tool to do so. A Mole grips is a good way to hold open the clips as a second best.
Thanks Geoff, I'll keep that in mind. Having dealt with these types of clips before, I know how difficult they can sometimes be. Would I be better off getting some regular type hose clamps rather than messing around with the ones Citroen have installed?
If you can get them off then there is no reason to not put them back on, as much as I prefer the Jubilee clip for it's convenience I have to concede that the current type automotive hose clips are better in service as they tighten more evenly and don't cause localised damage like a Jubilee can.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post
Stick to the same clip's if you can they are sprung to the right pressure a jubilee you can over tighten
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy