Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
power steering fail
Hi all
Last year I had a recond rack fitted to my 06 Berlingo Van (ex forestry commission) after it started leaking at the base of the column. Within a year I starte to loose a very small amount of fluid over a long period of time so put some Slik steering fluid in to halt the leak. Worked well for a few months but today the pump (I think) failed. Looked under bonnet an could see fluid on alternator and all over yard where I had turned into on full lock. Its dark now an still chucking it down here so cant start rolling around underneath.
Any comments anyone? Is it a new pump required and if so are they reasonably easy to fit?
Could be just a pipe bust, happened to my MK2
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
(07-01-2014, 06:17 PM)steve valentine Wrote:  Could be just a pipe bust, happened to my MK2

Cheers Steve
I have some fluid left so I'll pour some in and turn the steering in daylight and see if I can see where its coming from. Watch this space.
Half filled the reservoir and turned the lock a few times (well the wife did) but couldnt see anything obvious. All fluid had gone by the time I drove four miles. Alternator getting oiled so I think it could be the pump thats shot. Never changed one so could be 'engaged' this weekend finding out how to do it! If anyone has any tips I'd wlecome them. In the meantime I'll troll through this forum for help or similar experiences.
Mine has been leaking (just a drip or two) on the alternator for 2yrs!
Put some 'stop leak' in last year; made no difference.
Priced the pump ready for when it does go. Which it will. On a cold, rainy night, miles from home. Not going to happen in my street, during a heatwave, in July, is it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200701823690?s...1423.l2649
(08-01-2014, 07:15 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Mine has been leaking (just a drip or two) on the alternator for 2yrs!
Put some 'stop leak' in last year; made no difference.
Priced the pump ready for when it does go. Which it will. On a cold, rainy night, miles from home. Not going to happen in my street, during a heatwave, in July, is it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200701823690?s...1423.l2649

Hmm .... I only discovered I had a leak when the alternator packed in. Then I had both to change. Sad
Ordered a pump this morning. Now just deliberating whether to let garage fit it or bite the bullet and do it myself.
Looks like the hard part will be slackening the belt off.
I suggest you replace the PAS pressure sensor O-ring as well. Over time, these harden and eventually fail. It's small change at the dealer's parts counter.
Thanks Addo
What is the presseure sensor O ring? On my failed pump (still on vehicle) I can see what looks like a circular side plate on the pump (about 80mm across). Its on the opposite side to the pulley. It appears to be partially blown out from the inside. My replacement arrived this morning and this is perfectly flat.
Anyone got any info sources where I can find out how to swap the pumps over?
If your pump failed internally in such a notable fashion, I'd be serious about flushing out the rest of your system.

Actual swapping of the pumps is nothing fancy; release the drive belt tensioner and pin it, disconnect the outfeed pipe and suction to the reservoir (cap both for cleanliness), unbolt and swap.

Wash the reservoir in brake cleaner or petrol, shake then blow dry with compressed air, clean the cap's magnet. Rinse out the suction hose, syringe kerosene or diesel through the high pressure lines and then expel with compressed air whilst turning the wheel from lock to lock (front on stands). Stop flushing when it stops getting cleaner upon expulsion. Now reconnect all, check the belt tension, charge the reservoir and divert the rack return line into a clear container. I'd flush another litre or more of Dex II through this way before connecting the return line once again.

The pressure sensor will be on the high pressure line between pump and rack; look for an electrical plug on a short "tee".