Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
sump bolts HELP!!!
Can anyone help me i have a 1.6 hdi and i keep bursting the sump it has been on and off that many times the threads are gone does anyone know what mm the width the bolts are?
(30-01-2014, 11:26 PM)mckay Wrote:  Can anyone help me i have a 1.6 hdi and i keep bursting the sump it has been on and off that many times the threads are gone does anyone know what mm the width the bolts are?
not sure what you mean by "bursting" tbh, why not just take a bolt to any local car spare shop, they should be able to replace it quite easily would have thought...
How can you burst a sump and how can you keep on bursting it? It's not pressurised to any great extent is it?
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
Sounds like the car/van is lowered and the sump is taking the brunt
of impacts. I'm probably wrong, as usual, though!
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
(01-02-2014, 06:25 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  How can you burst a sump and how can you keep on bursting it? It's not pressurised to any great extent is it?

Not bursting as in too much pressure, bursting as in its that low it it catches on speedbumps etc and has put a hole in it

(01-02-2014, 10:37 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  Sounds like the car/van is lowered and the sump is taking the brunt
of impacts. I'm probably wrong, as usual, though!
nope your right, mate of mine has this van and it honestly catches on almost everything its that low
project "black and decked" my bagged mk3 berlingo 
[+] 1 user says Thank You to creith34 for this post
Your mate is going to have a clapped out engine very soon by the sounds of it.

Bolt size ? I'd be expecting either M6 or M7 but really the best way is to take one out and go to the main dealer using the bolt as a sample though really they should be able to supply regardless of sample.

Ask about a suspension raising kit while you are there.
Bad news I am afraid. If the threads are stripped on the bolts then the threads in the block will be stripped too.

2 choices, either have the holes in the block drilled and fitted with helicoil inserts or drill and tap the holes in the block to take the next size thicker bolt and drill clearance holes in the sump for that size bolt.

Our B9 berlingo has an engine under tray to protect the vulnerable parts.

Our M59 Berlingo is suffering from a rusty sump even though at every oil change (6months) it gets treated with waxoyl.

Peter
What about routing an engine breather over it to allow oily fumes to coat it ? assuming you have some blow by of course. I did this with an old Land Rover chassis many moons ago, one chassis leg never rusted but the other did.
(04-02-2014, 02:59 AM)geoff Wrote:  What about routing an engine breather over it to allow oily fumes to coat it ? assuming you have some blow by of course. I did this with an old Land Rover chassis many moons ago, one chassis leg never rusted but the other did.

When I had a landrover the chassis near the engine and gearbox never rusted because thre were too many oil leaks.

On the M59 1.9 engine the breather goes into the inlet manifold (it is this oil mist mixed with the exhaust particles that blocks up the egr valve). I am not sure that you could modify it without affecting the running of the engine. I will just have to keep my eyes open for an alloy sump from a vehicle with air con. It is just a good job that the 1.9 DW8 and the 2.0 DW10 share the same sump. They are a bit pricey to buy though.

Peter
Your better off with a steel sump, ( if no sump guard).
If you make a hole in a steel sump a piece of wood hammered into the hole acts as a plug and will get you home.

Any hole in an alloy sump is a disaster as it just shatters.:eek:
[+] 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post