Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Changing dipped headlight bulb
This evening the dipped headlight bulb blew in my 2013 1.6HDi Multispace, the one on the passenger side. Having read various threads such as this one it seems that changing it myself would be challenging.

Should I just go to the main dealer and be done with it? How much is it likely to cost?

OTF
PS kind of annoyed that this has gone after less than a year and 20,000 miles
Maybe I'm missing something but if you're talking simply about replacing the H4 bulb for the headlights (low and high beam) it's a 10 minute job. Done it three times so far.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP. Persamos green.

[Image: ab197646.gif]
(06-02-2014, 05:32 AM)3rensho Wrote:  Maybe I'm missing something but if you're talking simply about replacing the H4 bulb for the headlights (low and high beam) it's a 10 minute job. Done it three times so far.

I've just looked again at the thread I linked to and I've realised that it's talking about the Mk2 Rolleyes So you have a Mk3 and you have found it easy enough - any tips as to how to go about it? I assume you approach it from the engine bay?

Thanks
OTF
MK 2 no problem either, you just have to loosen the headlamp and ease it forwards a bit to get your hand in or find someone with a small hand.

Peter
Yes, from the engine bay. Slide off the largest round rubber cap behind the light and that exposes the bulb and connector. Pull off the electrical connector, move the spring loaded clip holding the bulb in place out of the way and then remove bulb. Replace bulb, re-engage spring clip (clips at the top) and reconnect electrics and replace rubber dust cover. If you sort of stand on your head in the engine compartment and shine a torch on the assembly it becomes apparent.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP. Persamos green.

[Image: ab197646.gif]
Just updating with some pictures. As 3rensho said, you have to move the springloaded clip and this turned out to be pretty hard because you can't really see into the headlight bulb area unless you do a headstand on the engine bay. Eventually I took photos with my camera and puzzled out how it moves - you need to push it sideways in the direction of the centreline of the bonnet to release the catch - but it took a while. Springclip aside, it was very straightforward. So that others don't have to go through the same process here are the photos.
1) Clip in place, holding bulb which is still connected to electricals.
[Image: fuw4.jpg]
2) Clip detached by pulling to right, bulb disconnected.
[Image: usx3.jpg]
3) Clip folded down out of the way and bulb ready for removal.
[Image: 6ulg.jpg]
[+] 2 users say Thank You to onthefence for this post
I was doing this very task at the weekend, and the part that the spring clip goes into came away, and dropped down under the headlamp reflector. Various attempts to retrieve it failed - magnet, bluetack on a stick, bent coathanger.

It looks like I have two options - 1. remove the whole headlamp assembly (which I gather involves removing most of the front of the car) turn it upside down and shake it or
2. try and obtain a replacement clip.

Are these readily available, or is it one of these things where you have to buy the whole headlamp assembly to get a 10p clip?
(06-02-2014, 07:58 AM)Romahomepete Wrote:  MK 2 no problem either, you just have to loosen the headlamp and ease it forwards a bit to get your hand in or find someone with a small hand.

Peter

I managed it on my MK2 without loosening the headlamp and I've got shovels for hands.

I did remove most of the skin on my knuckles though Confusedillyme:
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
I used an inspection mirror to see how to undo clip & it does help. It is difficult to work out how to undo clip just by feel, you need to see it.
I managed to changed the O/S (driver's side) lamp relatively easily a few weeks ago and then the N/S one went. Different kettle of fish regards access to the rear of the headlight. Could get the circular cover off, but that's as far as it goes and I don't have big hands, but I just knew that with the severely reduced access due to location of electronics boxes immediately behind headlamp that I would struggle to deal with the spring clips holding the lamp in place. Figured I need to improve the access but I'd like to know which approach to take - remote front grill etc or try to shift electronics boxes? What is the easiest/best way to achieve this?