Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Suspension arm
Hi
When my car went through its MOT in Nov I was advised that the suspension arm bushes on the O/S/F were deteriorated. I can only find wishbone bushes at Eurocarparts. Are these the same thing, please? Plus, has any one either replaced these themselves (and if so is it difficult for a novice) or had them replaced at a garage, and if so what was the cost roughly,please. Do both N & O sides need doing or can I just do the O/S?
Lastly, how many bushes are on each side? Its too wet to be scrawming under the car at the moment to have a look. If I decide to do them my self I was thinking of getting a Haynes manual, are they still as good as they used to be?
Haynes is still a decent book but not as good as it used to be ( I'm thinking thirty years ago mind you ! )

The wishbone bushes will be the same as the suspension arm bushes and you can do one side at a time though be aware that if one side is on its way then the other will be close behind it. That said you can do one side and then do the other at your convenience as a preventive measure which is how I approach things so you don't get much in the way of unexpected bills / work. You can choose to work on a warm dry day at your convenience rather than being forced to work in the cold and freezing wet, I know which I prefer.

For your convenience it is worthwhile replacing the complete wishbone rather than just one particular bush and the cost isn't prohibitive. Look on Ebay for an idea of prices and also ask at a local motor factors for a comparison too.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Thank you, Geoff. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do both, but I did also wonder how one side could have deteriorated and not the other, unless for some reason one was done prior to me getting the car.