Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike / Cycle Carrier
Hi. Newbie here and proud new owner of my first Berlingo. Mk3 XTR 2013. Love it. Only problem is that the rear door bike carrier of our last car is not suitable for the Berlingo 2013 and I am struggling to find a suitable rear door carrier for 3, or ideally 4 bikes. Seems nothing is suitable. Probably due to the plastic looking rear bumper.
I am loathed to have a tow bar fitted as it is a huge expense just for carrying bikes around but am thinking it maybe the only option if we need to carry 4.
I know there is always the roof, but this will be tricky for head heights and ferries etc and not easy for 'quick' trips out. Plus, I would have to pay for roof bars to be fitted as well.
Please, any ideas / suggestions welcome... the more cost effective the better!
Thank you
Well, if you remove the front wheel, you should be able to fit quite a few IN the back, instead of hanging them off the rear...
(I managed to fit my 50cc scooter in mine)

Other suggestions by Google is:
http://www.fiamma.it/EN/products/carry-b..._backpack/

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/st...-racks.php
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post
I think if you want to carry 4 bikes safely you need something fairly substantial & I would say towbar fitting & using a good 4 bike carrier like Thule that holds the wheels of the bikes is probably the way to go. These carriers also allow bikes to be loaded/unloaded quickly which is what you want on days out etc. Bear in mind though that towbar download limit for later Berlingo3 is 70kg so weight of bikes & carrier should not exceed that.

You can get adjustable clamp on Fiamma tailgate racks that should fit & I think somebody has fitted one to a Berlingo3, there was a post about it on here a long time ago. I certainly would not to want to use lash on webbing type for 4 bikes.

Found it, thread here click on link in first post for picture of car. I recall pch said it was a modified VW T4 van rack but I may be wrong. Perhaps he will post to confirm?
I've used The Roofbox Company for bike rack and a number of other accessories. They have a good range, helpful advice on website, and offer a long period exchange service which I have used without hassle. They also have a range of returned or secondhand stuff offered at good prices. Worth a look. I'd certainly use them again.
Sounds like you'll definitely need a towbar mounted rack though.
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
[+] 1 user says Thank You to pidgeonpost for this post
Try this thread:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=260
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tc_1 for this post
(12-03-2014, 04:54 PM)pidgeonpost Wrote:  I've used The Roofbox Company for bike rack and a number of other accessories. They have a good range, helpful advice on website, and offer a long period exchange service which I have used without hassle. They also have a range of returned or secondhand stuff offered at good prices. Worth a look. I'd certainly use them again.
Sounds like you'll definitely need a towbar mounted rack though.

Thank you. Yes, I am coming round to the idea that I probably do need a tow bar mounted one.
Thanks for the tip about the roof box company.

(12-03-2014, 07:00 PM)tc_1 Wrote:  Try this thread:

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=260

Thank you. That's helpful.

Do you happen to know if the 70kg limit have to accommodate the tow bar weight and bike carrier as well? I am not sure what a 'nose weight' is...

(12-03-2014, 01:26 PM)Gadgetman Wrote:  Well, if you remove the front wheel, you should be able to fit quite a few IN the back, instead of hanging them off the rear...
(I managed to fit my 50cc scooter in mine)

Other suggestions by Google is:
http://www.fiamma.it/EN/products/carry-b..._backpack/

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/st...-racks.php

Thank you. I need to look into that...
Noseweight means the weight on hitch, ie nose of a caravan. On the towbar of your Berlingo this must not exceed 70kg, & its the same for a towbar mounted bike rack, the total weight of rack & bikes should not exceed 70kg.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post
(12-03-2014, 09:40 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Noseweight means the weight on hitch, ie nose of a caravan. On the towbar of your Berlingo this must not exceed 70kg, & its the same for a towbar mounted bike rack, the total weight of rack & bikes should not exceed 70kg.

Call it 12kgs for the rack means I could carry my Rose SL road bike and seven spares.

:whistle::thumbsup:

We use a Thule tow bar two bike rack. Pleased with it's rigidity and ease of attachment. Fitting is easily a sub 30 second job. Pretty much a doddle to fit the bikes on it especially if the inner bike has it's handlebars twisted through 90 degrees.But one does have to be very carefully if bikes are not to rub against each other so watch out for the bike's paintwork if that sort oif thing is important to you

Can't open the hatch of course and even the rear window is problematic. I leave the reversing sensor engaged so that the wail it makes reminds me to take care when edging backwards.

Next time, to save faffing about, I'd probably go for the more deluxe model with a built in numberplate and lights to avoid having to use a trailer board that is hard to thief proof.

Toodlepipe!

David
[+] 1 user says Thank You to daviddb for this post
SOLD thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sounds interesting. How much do you want for them?