Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tailgate heater connections

Mine's the Berlingo with the canine chewed interior already posted on the introductions page.

This is a photo of what is left of the wiring to the rear window heater (similar both sides). There is a green/yellow wire and a strip of metal attached to the tailgate on each side. I've twisted them together to stop me losing the wire into the bodywork.

Supposing the wiring is ok how should I reattach it to the heating element on both sides? The wires are badly corroded so I will have to strip it back to some fresh wire but there isn't much play and I can't get it to pull out any further (only about 1in extends beyond the metalwork).

I don't know if this is just the only problem stopping the heating element from and would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of where the fuse is located for it also?

Many thanks again,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
The first thing to do is to confirm there is a feed.If the wire is that bad you will have to repair it.Tie/tape string to it before you pull it through,it will save many tears by just pulling the repaired wire through with the string.The screen terminal may accept a spade terminal,if not,solder it .Good luck.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post
Thanks Ron, only just read your post.

By a feed do you mean a wire? There are corroded wires showing at each side (the ends a bit chewed and rusty). Could I strip these back to fresh wire?

What is a spade terminal? If one isn't possible do you solder the repaired wire to the strip of metal attached to the door in my picture?
By a feed I mean 12volts at the cable end. 1 cable will be live 12v(hopefully) & the other will be earth.Connect a meter/test lamp 'tween the two,ign on & HRW sw on.You will hopefully have a 12v reading/illuminated bulb.A spade terminal is a flat connector shaped like a spade head,1/4" wide,which will slide onto the screen terminal.If you decide to solder,tin the screen terminal & cable end,then solder together.If you know a friendly electrician,he will probably do it for you at a reasonable cost.Good luck.:thumbsup:Confusedalut:
Thanks Ron, I've ordered a multimeter now to check the 'feed' first :lol:. I'm sure it will come in handy again :lol:. I'll let you know how I get on once it's arrived.
Best left to the designated ron to deal with -too many cooks etc

Incidentaly when you get the meter you can test the green/yellow wire easily by selecting its resistance range (horseshoe or 'K' symbol)
With the ignition switched off put one lead {doesnt matter which one} at the rear screen connection and the other lead to the car metal bodywork(there will be a handy terminal post behind the rear lamp assembly with other green/yellow wires connected.)
If you get zero resistance on the meter then the wire is fine.
Dont forget to switch off your meter afterwards!!!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to evdama for this post
Hello, just an update.

Meter arrive and excited to find I do have a feed so just waiting for my solder to arrive and I'll get cracking on the repair. Could have done with it working this morning at 4.30am when it was thick with ice Smile
[+] 1 user says Thank You to MissMc for this post
It was a tad chilly here as well.Hope your electrical DIY goes well.:thumbsup:
Good to see your getting it sorted Confusedalut:
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy