Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lidl Window Tint
Lidl are currently selling a kit to tint the rear window and rear side windows for £4.99. However it is very dark. Got a pack yesterday, supposed to have instructions, cutter and smoother, mine didn't. Had to look at youtube vids. Also hardest bit is peeling the clear film off the self adhesive dark film.

Removed both rear side windows, so I could do job indoors. Not professionall finish, but OK for first attempt. With tailgate glass the idea (correct me pls if I'm wrong) is you temporarily put the film on the outside to cut it to shape, then apply soapy water to inside and then remove backing etc.

It was windy yesterday and it flapped around and stuck to itself!! Had to get another pack. However as its so dark (pack says light transparency 2-6%) not sure I want it on the rear glass.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Modmytop for this post
That's a good price if the pack did your tailgate and two rear quarters though Smile
The lower the light transparency percentage, the darker the shade, so you've got a dark limo black by the sounds of it? Did they have other shades?
Was the roll wide enough to do the tailgate in one pice, or did you have to splice it?
Sorry for bombarding with questions, but this is something I want to do to my Blingo.
[fon‌t=Verdana]0 to 60 - be patient, 0 to 100 - not in my lifetime! :eek:
It may be a slow Blue Slug, but it"s the only slow Blue Slug that I own :S[/font]
[+] 1 user says Thank You to BlueSlug for this post
(27-04-2014, 10:06 AM)BlueSlug Wrote:  That's a good price if the pack did your tailgate and two rear quarters though Smile
The lower the light transparency percentage, the darker the shade, so you've got a dark limo black by the sounds of it? Did they have other shades?
Was the roll wide enough to do the tailgate in one pice, or did you have to splice it?
Sorry for bombarding with questions, but this is something I want to do to my Blingo.
Didn't see any other shades available. Transparency was fairly well hidden, and I didn't realise what it meant when I bought it, impulse buy! Yeah plenty left over after rear quarters. Tailgate was just right for height (Mk2 Bingo), with about 6 inches spare in length. So one piece did tailgate, or would have if the wind hadn't caught it! I'll dig the box out if you want the dimensions of the sheets.

Think you would need use of a garage to do a proper job. Not sure why some of the youtube vids showed use of a heat gun ??

Brilliant avatar BTW.

Rear film 75 x 152 cm
Side window film 50 x 250 cm
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Modmytop for this post
The heat gun moulds the film to the shape of the glass.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
i did my 4 rear side windows but left the rear one to a pro as it is a lot harder to get it right.
(27-04-2014, 05:06 PM)Modmytop Wrote:  Didn't see any other shades available. Transparency was fairly well hidden, and I didn't realise what it meant when I bought it, impulse buy! Yeah plenty left over after rear quarters. Tailgate was just right for height (Mk2 Bingo), with about 6 inches spare in length. So one piece did tailgate, or would have if the wind hadn't caught it! I'll dig the box out if you want the dimensions of the sheets.

Think you would need use of a garage to do a proper job. Not sure why some of the youtube vids showed use of a heat gun ??

Brilliant avatar BTW.

Rear film 75 x 152 cm
Side window film 50 x 250 cm

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:. I have a MK2 so the film would do my tailgate in one piece too.
Would it be possible to fit the film with the tailgate closed and the rear seats folded flat? That would eliminate any weather issues, or at least most of the film could be squeegied and the edges trimmed with the tailgate open - just a thought.

The avatar is a tribute to my plodding 1.9d Smile
[fon‌t=Verdana]0 to 60 - be patient, 0 to 100 - not in my lifetime! :eek:
It may be a slow Blue Slug, but it"s the only slow Blue Slug that I own :S[/font]