Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Steering Pump / Belt Problem
My first problem in 6 months in my 03 1.9D Multispace (222K miles).This time its shredding its alternator belts.The belt slips one notch sideways off the steering pump pulley about a week prior to splitting the belt longways .Angry The garage says the problem is a worn steering pump,the pulley has a obvious end movement on it so the bearing is obviously nacked.The car is booked in on Monday to get sorted the estimate is £120 so not too bad.
BTW I've noticed the battery light goes out and appears to work normally when run without the belt fittedConfusedcratch:
As someone who cut his driving teeth many years ago with motors still fitted with dynamos,I dont think I'll ever understand the modern car.:lol:
Anyway I'll let you know how things go next week.
Give me compensated voltage control any day of the week Confusedalut:
Are you sure it's not running two separate belts like a 1.4 does?
(16-05-2014, 10:38 PM)geoff Wrote:  Give me compensated voltage control any day of the week Confusedalut:

Was that the RB 310?Confusedcratch:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(17-05-2014, 08:51 PM)ron Wrote:  
(16-05-2014, 10:38 PM)geoff Wrote:  Give me compensated voltage control any day of the week Confusedalut:

Was that the RB 310?Confusedcratch:

Hi Ron,

I was specifically thinking of the RB106 ( two bobbins )

If memory serves me the RB310 ( three bobbins ) is compensated current control, typically used for heavier duty - diesels.

Geoff Confusedalut:Confusedalut:Confusedalut:
Ta Geoff.I remember the 106/2 quite well.most British cars had them until the 310 which I believe was inferior(reliability wise).Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy

We better be careful Ron as " they " will kick us off onto an old car Forum.

HI All,
Well got the replacement pump fitted on Tuesday,all was well yesterday however this evening I checked and the belt has slipped one notch sideways(outward) off the steering pump pulley again, meaning the belt will soon fail.:brickwall:A bit annoying to say the least as the car itself is running great.Has anyone else encountered this problem,could it be a tensioner????

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Just a little update.Took the car back to the garage on Friday morning and one of the mechanics put the belt back on the steering pulley and showed me how its done.Its simple. Using a 15mm ring spanner on the wheel bolt of the upper tensioner and twisting it anti-clockwise releases the pressure on the belt enough to replace it.If only I knew of this simple procedure sooner I may of saved some money on broken belts! Anyway the car is booked in again on Monday for a full set of tensioners and hopefully drawing a line under this one.
I did wonder if the crank pulley was delaminating.