Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best breakdown cover option
Hi folks,

I am utterly bemused by the prices for breakdown cover.

The AA and RAC are £118.99 and £112.99 resperctively for National and Homestart but when I look at price comparisons on Money Supermarket the price for alternative suppliers like Startrescue.co.uk drops dramatically to £35.45

The policies appear to be the same. Roadside assistance and any parts are chargeable. This is the same as the AA and RAC isn't it. Or whatam I missing?
It' been a while since i had but believe the name was AutoAid - check it out.

It works differently from conventional AA/RAC in that you pay a low yearly premium, it insures you rather than the car, and they offer lots of benefits such as onward travel etc all included.

The only 'catch' are that they use a network of local mechanics wherever you are unfortunately to break down, and they work on a pay & reclaim service (never had any issues or delays to my reclaims).
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here
 [Image: mybbsig.php]

I've used a few of the cheaper versions which have all worked on a pay and reclaim system, no good if you live on a tight budget as recovery they arranged I found to be around £1 a mile and you pay for the recovery to drive to you from their depot, tow you home then drive back to their depot so double your mileage from home. I think it cost me the best part of £400 to get towed from South Wales to Cornwall, and then took them about 6 weeks to reimburse me.
Personally I would stick with AA/RAC/ Green Flag as the service they provide is so much superior and worth the money from my own experiences.
I went with Asda one year and it took them 4 hours to get me recovered from the hardshoulder of a Dual Carriageway.
This post makes it look like I've had a high number of breakdowns which in reality has probably been 1 call out a year on average over the last 9 years, other than when I had a Rover and it was more like 1 call out a month!
(10-06-2014, 10:52 AM)Andre Wrote:  It' been a while since i had but believe the name was AutoAid - check it out.

It works differently from conventional AA/RAC in that you pay a low yearly premium, it insures you rather than the car, and they offer lots of benefits such as onward travel etc all included.

The only 'catch' are that they use a network of local mechanics wherever you are unfortunately to break down, and they work on a pay & reclaim service (never had any issues or delays to my reclaims).

This is the thing that is bothering me the most. They use private mechanics and pay for the first hour and my fear is that they will want to make a smuch as they can (typical mechanics eh!) and take more than an hour even if it doesn't need it and then take it back to their garage and rip the arse off you.

Am I just being paranoid or whould I leave well alone and go with one of the big two?
As. my car is less than 5 Year's old, I pay about 17 quid a year with thegreeninsurancecompany

The cover appears to be comparable to the big companies
Get Citroen Assistance Breakdown Cover ( AA ) which is fair bit cheaper than AA, includes relay,at home, etc.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
[+] 1 user says Thank You to taxi for this post
(10-06-2014, 12:45 PM)taxi Wrote:  Get Citroen Assistance Breakdown Cover ( AA ) which is fair bit cheaper than AA, includes relay,at home, etc.

Interesting that Taxi! Never heard of it. How much is it?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Burt for this post
Will check out receipt...approx £80....

Check out my thread. ........Citroen Assist
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
Its usually cheaper to pay for breakdown cover with your car insurance premium. I'm with Saga & their breakdown cover costs £120pa but for that you also get European cover with no time limit & also they will recover caravan along with car if you are towing, they will also attend for breakdown/puncture on caravan. I have spoken to Saga at length about this & their cover does include caravan breakdown provided it is attached to car at time. Cheaper cover does not always include that.

Saga use AA for UK breakdown & I've used them once from home when egr valve failed. AA man towed car 11miles to Citroen Garage in Clacton then Drove me 18miles to Colchester to collect hire car which is part of deal for 3days. Can't really fault that. Whatever breakdown cover you choose, read small print very carefully, particularly if you tow & speak to company on phone, call centre staff may not know that much so ask to speak to somebody that does.
hi. try qdosbreakdown.co.uk..........
full cover inc, legal exp............£46.94... pending year of car,
have fun.