Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Clutch/ gear box problem really need help
Hey all
Got my car back to after having new clutch and Gear box repair the car is still grinding in nuteral Is there anything else that could be wrong took 8 days to get car done so really want to avoid another 8 day stint
anyone?
Did they changed the clutch release bearing? If you press clutch pedal, the grinding is still there?
(18-06-2014, 02:04 PM)Ricardo Mendes Wrote:  Did they changed the clutch release bearing? If you press clutch pedal, the grinding is still there?

They fitted a new clutch assembly and did a gear box repair the grinding stops when you put the clutch in and starts when clutch comes up
That is the clutch release bearing,they should of fitted a new one when they did the clutch....it comes in the kit with the clutch...sounds like you need to ask to see the old clutch incase they havnt done anything at all.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to raptornexus for this post
I love the internet diagnosis of a noise that could be anything on the drivetrain from big end bearings to the clutch, to the gearbox input shaft bearings, put bluntly return the vehicle to the guys that did the work and ask them to put it right or to diagnose correctly what the noise is, if they say it's ok and your still not happy contact the warranty company, they will then send someone to independently inspect the vehicle, there's a right way and a wrong way to diagnose stuff, unfortunately the only way to diagnose it is take it to a trusted garage who you know and trust, or ask for a recommendation from on here, but suggestions of what's wrong are of no help to a garage or mechanic, people try and 'help' but the first thing a mechanic does is use his skills learnt over years of mending cars, something a lot of people forget and seem to be ignorant too Sad it's quite offensive to skilled people wen people read stuff on the internet and tell them what's wrong with little or no clue other than 'I've read on google/forum/xyz...'
(18-06-2014, 09:09 PM)dumdum Wrote:  I love the internet diagnosis of a noise that could be anything on the drivetrain from big end bearings to the clutch, to the gearbox input shaft bearings, put bluntly return the vehicle to the guys that did the work and ask them to put it right or to diagnose correctly what the noise is, if they say it's ok and your still not happy contact the warranty company, they will then send someone to independently inspect the vehicle, there's a right way and a wrong way to diagnose stuff, unfortunately the only way to diagnose it is take it to a trusted garage who you know and trust, or ask for a recommendation from on here, but suggestions of what's wrong are of no help to a garage or mechanic, people try and 'help' but the first thing a mechanic does is use his skills learnt over years of mending cars, something a lot of people forget and seem to be ignorant too Sad it's quite offensive to skilled people wen people read stuff on the internet and tell them what's wrong with little or no clue other than 'I've read on google/forum/xyz...'

So what your saying is you should shut down all the forums because it upsets all the mechanics when people ask for help so they have an idea what the mechanic is telling them is wrong and to ensure they don't get ripped off.

Forums exist because some people like to have a go themselves with a little helping hand from what is a combined amount of massive knowledge from people with many many years of experience between them and who are prepared to give up some of their time to help others free of charge I might add.

If that upsets a few thin skinned mechanics....

Tough.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to homeruk for this post
I can see both sides of this issue. One of the biggest problems is professional misdiagnosis, particularly when a generic scan tool can't "see" a specific ECU in (say) a Berlingo, and it then gives an odd interpretation the owner or mechanic may take as gospel.

Then there are the phantom faults, P1351 for example where more than just myself have found nothing wrong with glowplugs or the relay in question, nor the BSM. Yes, it may be pointing to a glowplug or relay fault, but on the other hand it may be barking at imaginary shadows.

Some issues, once you've seen them a few times, you can give a reasonably confident opinion on the likely cause, or at least push people towards a few basic tests. And I've seen some G-dawful work by full-time professional mechanics with a licence to trade. Corners cut, nil root cause diagnosis, cherry-picking all come to mind.

Agree that Google can be a scourge, the cynical approach is to assess frequency of a certain response and put it up against the quality of website where it appears.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post
(19-06-2014, 08:54 AM)addo Wrote:  I can see both sides of this issue. One of the biggest problems is professional misdiagnosis, particularly when a generic scan tool can't "see" a specific ECU in (say) a Berlingo, and it then gives an odd interpretation the owner or mechanic may take as gospel.

Then there are the phantom faults, P1351 for example where more than just myself have found nothing wrong with glowplugs or the relay in question, nor the BSM. Yes, it may be pointing to a glowplug or relay fault, but on the other hand it may be barking at imaginary shadows.

Some issues, once you've seen them a few times, you can give a reasonably confident opinion on the likely cause, or at least push people towards a few basic tests. And I've seen some G-dawful work by full-time professional mechanics with a licence to trade. Corners cut, nil root cause diagnosis, cherry-picking all come to mind.

Agree that Google can be a scourge, the cynical approach is to assess frequency of a certain response and put it up against the quality of website where it appears.

Agree on the p1351 fault had that come up when I had an egr fault a few months ago , like most I assumed glow plugs , however when I fixed the egr and cleared the codes the code p1351 also disappeared and hasn't reappeared.

It could well be that the weather was too warm and has been since not to need them and therefore the code will pop up when the weather goes colder.

Or like you say its barking at imaginary shadows.

Why didn't I check or change the glow plugs? When I found where they were located I was being lazy and thought bugger that do it when I have to!

Renault cars do not like generic code readers, they won't even pick up some codes which makes it kinda hard to fix and requires a trip to someone with a clip diagnostic system.

I blame the french! (No offence intended :-))
(18-06-2014, 09:09 PM)dumdum Wrote:  I love the internet diagnosis of a noise that could be anything on the drivetrain from big end bearings to the clutch, to the gearbox input shaft bearings, put bluntly return the vehicle to the guys that did the work and ask them to put it right or to diagnose correctly what the noise is, if they say it's ok and your still not happy contact the warranty company, they will then send someone to independently inspect the vehicle, there's a right way and a wrong way to diagnose stuff, unfortunately the only way to diagnose it is take it to a trusted garage who you know and trust, or ask for a recommendation from on here, but suggestions of what's wrong are of no help to a garage or mechanic, people try and 'help' but the first thing a mechanic does is use his skills learnt over years of mending cars, something a lot of people forget and seem to be ignorant too Sad it's quite offensive to skilled people wen people read stuff on the internet and tell them what's wrong with little or no clue other than 'I've read on google/forum/xyz...'

As a retired mechanic,self employed,for 40 years,I agree that some "bar room" experts can be downright dangerous.Of course diagnosing on a forum or any other remote form is frought with problems.Is the problem properly described?What's been left out? not noticed or thought relevant? I learnt very early to treat customer"diagnosis" with a pinch of salt & do my own.The idea of our forum is to offer advice where we can & this has proved most helpful to many members.I rarely offer electronic advice as it's not my forte.Mechanical problems are generic in a lot of cases so it matters not whether you are Lada or Lamborghini mechanic.Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post